Tuesday, February 8, 2022

New Orleans Greys

The last challenge or the challenge before that I introduced my first miniature for my Texas War of Independence project which was a mounted Texian figure and since followed it up with a Mexican regiment outside the challenge. I decided I wanted to add to the project and thought it would fit right in with the challenge and the first thing I wanted to do were the New Orleans Greys.


The Texas War of Independence project is for Sharp Practice II which I think is absolutely ideal for this period due to the small size of the forces involved. I wouldn't want to build large armies for this as there were few large engagements(That came latter in the Mexican/American War), but the opportunities for skirmish is very large indeed with raids, feats of daring, rescues, and ambushes to name few!


The New Orleans Greys were a Military Volunteer unit comprised of 2 companies (122 men) that requested permission from Texas Provincial Government to fight in Texas War of Independence which agreed and also provided some financial assistance.



They were very well equipped compared to most volunteer militia with a uniform, musket, ammunition provided and often mistaken for US regulars and attempted to conduct themselves as soldiers so were also better disciplined then most volunteers. 


Of the 122 Greys 22 of them fought and died at the Alamo with their flag being the one raised over the fort. and reportedly on display in a Mexican museum. Some claim it was the 1824 flag which of course could be a possibility, but the only flag that I know of in existence is the Greys flag. The Greys also took part in the Siege of Bexar, Goliad campaign, and San Jacinto.

The New Orleans Grey flag in Mexico City which was once a light blue has faded to cream white.

When painting the figures I wanted to have a campaign look while still looking like they were part of the same unit so I went with a darker blue grey as standard uniform and then added a couple different shades of grey into the mix to show different dyes and the effects weather can have in changing the base fabric color. I also added some tan and brown pants as replacements or civilian clothes in leu of unissued trousers. Anytime I can find an excuse to mix and match I tend to take advantage of that as I like variety in a unit.

The figures are from Boot Hill miniatures are so packed with character one can't help smiling as you paint them. Just fantastic sculpting and a real joy to paint I must say!  The colors I used were Foundry paints and a small selection of Vallejo. 




I plan on doing some more units for the project as I just need to make a few more and I could have a small game and I really just enjoy doing the figures.

That's 20 x 28mm figures for 100pts.

Thanks for viewing!

Miniature Company-Boot Hill Miniatures



20 comments :

  1. A famous unit, beautifully rendered by your talented hand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Splendid work on outstanding sculpts by Matt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David and indeed outstanding sculpts from Matt!

      Christopher

      Delete
  3. A lovely looking unit Christopher…
    I do like Boot Hill Miniatures and it’s a very tempting period.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Aly and so tempting I couldn't resist!

      Christopher

      Delete
  4. Oh, these US troops look splendid, Christopher. I do like the period - the US military started to take on their own unique look and use of tactics too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Dean and yes they did start some new tactics.

      Christopher

      Delete
  5. Who would have thought grey could look so good. Wonderful sculpts, painting and bases.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful looking troops Chris! Looking forward to see them on the table some time soon 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nick it will be fun to get them on the table!

      Christopher

      Delete