Monday, June 7, 2021

Mexican Regular Infantry for Texas War of Independence

 

A return back to my Texas War Of Independence project I briefly started last year I think. I'll be building this for Sharp Practice 2 which I think is the perfect ruleset for this period which is small engagements fighting in a semi skirmish manner.


Since Mexicans are likely to be the more numerous of the two forces I thought I thought I would start fresh with them so I could figure out a plan of action and just get the ball rolling.



For the uniform I went with the winter colors of blue top and white pants instead of the all white summer uniform for the regulars although in the future I may use the summer to denote militia or something different from the regulars.


I painted the cross belts in a slightly brighter shade of white to the pants so they don't blend in. Other then a couple Russian officers this is the only thing I've come close to painting in a Napoleonic type of uniform and it does add a bit more work and the pom pom was a challenge getting the Mexican colors in there. 


The figures are from Boot Hill and they really do have a ton of cartoony character that just makes you smile while you paint them and I have to say they are a real joy to paint!


 

The paints I used were mostly foundry a dash of Vallejo and P3 thrown in the mix. I kept the colors nice and bright to further play up the style of sculpts and the basing I also went for a brighter semi desert ground. The figures are multi based from I believe warbases.


Troops need some leaders so painted up an officer and his sergeant to keep the men focused and moving. I also created some sabots for them so they would stand taller next to the unit and of course helps pick them out as leaders. It also allows me to take them off the sabots and place them in the unit if I don't want to move them separately.



Lots of pictures in this one, but I wanted to show the unit in both line and grouped together in a compact formation. I will be returning to the Texan War, but before that I'll be in the dark woods of Northern America and Canada for more gun smoke adventures.

Thanks for viewing!

Miniature Company. Boot Hill Miniatures


22 comments :

  1. These are fantastic, lovely vibrant colours and dynamic poses

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully painted Mexican regulars, Christopher! I always liked their "French" look, and the work you put into the tricolor pompoms really makes them pop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dean and indeed that French uniform adds that extra flair.

      Christopher

      Delete
  3. A very fine finish on those Christopher you have really enhanced the character of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh wow stunning looking regiment and painted with loving care too - awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful work on those sculpts Christopher. By the by, my son Matt is the sculptor for the Boothill range

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you David and your son is talented! Looking forward to more of his sculpts!

      Christopher

      Delete
  6. Lovely figures and superb painting and basing Christopher. The blue winter coat rather than the all white is definitely the way to go IMO.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great work again, Christopher. I like those vibrant colors, they look the part! Best, Tobi

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful work Chris! They look absolutely ace and your painting style fits those sculpts perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are great looking figures - this is a period I could easily be tempted to give a go, if any of my regular opponents were interested in going there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks rross and you should give the period a try.

      Christopher

      Delete
  10. Superb stuff Christopher, they have very animated poses.
    Peter

    ReplyDelete