Friday, October 21, 2016

Ruined Farm House


You can never have enough ruins for your WWII games so awhile back I picked up Warlords ruined hamlet box set that contains 3 ruined farms and this is the first one I assembled and painted.







The ruined hamlet is a nice box to have as they can easily be kit bashed to get various different looks. You can also use your own bits box to enhance the buildings for example I added some wood flooring from balsa wood, extra rock rubble and a base for the building.



I hard issue for me was trying to decide what kind of building I wanted and so went for a building that could conceivably be used for Normandy, Germany or Italy which means the building couldn't be too light or too dark, but somewhere in between and I think I achieved the balance I wanted.



I haven't planned how I'll do the next building, but I'll probably use the same color scheme as it's pretty flexible I think. However, before I do another I need to take a break and paint some figures which is where my real passion is. To be honest painting and building terrain is something I do as a necessity and not really something I'm all that into, but I believe one should invest time and energy into this as it doesn't help if you have nicely painted figures, but lousy looking terrain on your tables. I try to keep a balance, but admit I still do not focus enough on terrain which I hope to keep addressing the situation until I get to where I want to be.



Generally I do prefer resin as they by and large have better detail and cleaning is usually much quicker with little to no assembly, but plastic does have it's advantages in portability and flexibility not to mention the standard in detail is really improving and is in fact quite good so I do recommend picking up a box if your looking for a cheaper more flexible option then resin.


Thanks for looking!
Miniature Company-Warlord

45 comments :

  1. I think it turned out rather nicely! Will be looking into this box for when the group gets into more Bolt Action in next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have done a wonderful job on this Christopher and the ground work really enhances the whole building. Colours look great.
      On your next one you could always use some of that balsa wood to make an old battered door hanging off its hinges.
      Pat.

      Delete
    2. Thank you very much Nate! Enjoy the box it's worth it.

      Christopher

      Delete
    3. Thank you very much Pat and I will the door idea in mind as that sounds pretty cool.

      Christopher

      Delete
  2. That's turned out rather nice. Good terrain always enhances a battlefield

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly Neil and I agree good terrain can make or break a battlefield.

      Christopher

      Delete
  3. Looking very good, Chris! Make a few pics with your painted miniatures in and around the ruins. :)
    Cheers,
    Stoessi
    (Stoessi's Heroes)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly Thomas! I try and remember to get some in action pics in.

      Christopher

      Delete
  4. Looks pretty good Christopher, think you got the balance right. Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Christopher, this building would make a perfect centerpiece for a staid diorama in addition to a gaming piece. Wonderful work and a piece I did not know existed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Jonathan. Yes, the building have actually been available for a little while now so I advise you to pick up a set.

      Christopher

      Delete
  6. Well I think that's a pretty good job Christopher! I look forward to seeing the next one and how you present that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much David! Hopefully you won't have to long to wait.

      Christopher

      Delete
  7. Ooh, that's bloody nice work Christopher!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's some excellent looking piece of terrain Chris! Certainly looks way better than anything I did with the same set... Using balsa wood for floor tiles really did enhance the whole thing. It certainly will come in handy on sunday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Nick! Looking forward to the upcoming game!

      Christopher

      Delete
  9. gosh!...awesome painting and work on this model building - well done Christopher!

    cheers,

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is tremendous! I had looked at this box myself and seeing what you have done with yours is pushing it up my 'must have' list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kindly Micheal and looking forward to seeing what you do with your box set"!

      Christopher

      Delete
  11. Great! The very same painting the house a little while ago, looking at your work understand that I just messed up the model 8)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly Klingula and I'm sure yours looks better then your giving yourself credit for.

      Christopher

      Delete
  12. That is superb! Like the way you've enhanced it into such a realistic feature :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing skills on the weathering - having painted terrain of this quality at hand will be the icing on the cake for any miniatures collection!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Excellent piece of terrain, Christopher!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely work Christopher. I too am trying to catch up on my terrain. I love the figures but like them even more when they have an appropriate setting to fight in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Curt and very true about the importance of settings.

      Christopher

      Delete
  16. Really nicely put together and painted, Christopher. I've seen this kit around the shows, and you've made a really lovely job of it. Top work, Sir!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Bloody fantastic work. You sod!
    I just finished off my own ruined farmhouse from this kit and was quite happy with it, thanks very much.
    http://tasmancave.blogspot.com.au/2016/11/terrain.html

    Now I can see its bollocks compared to your masterpiece! Nicely done indeed :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you very much Paul! I'll need to pop over and check out your version of which I'm sure looks good.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  19. A stunning job, the wood flooring is superb and the colours exquisite, you've pushed this model well above the threshold that I thought this warlord games building could achieve, well done, regards, Peter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Peter very kind of you to say!

      Christopher

      Delete
  20. Realistic and wonderful looking ruins, excellent job!

    ReplyDelete