Sunday, August 14, 2022

Rebasing 28mm ACW

 

Texians

This is something I've been thinking over for quite some time and I finally pulled the trigger. I've wanted to make my units smaller for intermediate to large battle games, but at the same time make the bases bigger so I could tell a story of a kind for each unit. I've gone with two 60mm frontage bases with depths varying from 40mm, 60mm and 70mm depending on the troop type.

Iron Brigade

For me 28mm is all about the figure and the posing and very little to do with representing an actual unit size and in fact large units on a table not suited for it just looks crowded. If you want to represent units in appearance it should really be done at the smaller scales imho. I have an 8ft by 5ft. table which works great with the size I've chosen and really puts everything into proportion in my eye. In fact all my games with my AWI collection were played with comparable frontages and it works great so it's been tested so to speak.

Alabamians

I've also raised the bases higher so I don't need to touch the figures when picking up the base which helps with wear and tear. Once on my table it's not very noticeable.

Fire Zouaves 

I'll probably post these in batches until the rebasing is finished which could take awhile because I have to paint up some new commands. After that settles down then it will go back to individual units as I complete them.

Skirmish


Thanks for viewing!

Miniature Companies- Redoubt, Sash and Saber, Perry

20 comments :

  1. Your units look grand. I'd invoke the 'My Toys, My Game' rule in the face of dissenters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly David and my feeling exactly on my toys; my way.

      Christopher

      Delete
  2. Those are quite splendid Christopher, I use thicker bases too it's surprising how the extra mm makes a difference when picking them up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Phil and indeed the extra mm makes a difference!

      Christopher

      Delete
  3. Love it! I've done something similar. All my figures are 25/28mm, and I use 2 stands per unit, 2.25" stand width. Works perfect for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Brent! You are where I got the inspiration from on your blog! I didn't know the measurements you used, but figured out what would work. I didn't know why you changed your units, but liked what you did with the two bases per unit. I raised my bases as well, but not as high as yours. Cheers!

      Christopher

      Delete
  4. They look tremendous Christopher. All these years I have been trying to reduce the base profile on the tabletop, but as soon as I read your thought about picking them up I felt a massive face palm smacking me around the head! Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly Michael! It's not really my idea to raise a base height as I've seen several gamers do it rather I just decided to copy the idea so it's more like passing it on then coming up with it. Happy it helps like it did for me.

      Christopher

      Delete
  5. Yes, I like that, especially with the dynamic poses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and the extra room does allow to play around with posing which I like.

      Christopher

      Delete
  6. Your new basing looks great, Christopher. A new way to highlight your beautiful painting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great looking ACW troops, Christopher.

    ReplyDelete