Thursday, August 4, 2022

AB French in Greatcoats

 


This is my first try at a Napoleonic regiment and I thought I would start with the renowned AB miniatures in 18mm. I'm not sure if it's a project yet as I mostly did this so I would have a something to add when a friend that I have comes over with his Nap collection. It may become a project, but too early to say.





I've always had a strange relationship with figures smaller than 28mm in that I like how they present an army feel to them, but find them sort of a chore to paint as I feel somewhat constrained with all the small brush strokes. I'm quite happy with how they look and really like the solid compactness they present. I would really like to add more regiments to my collection, but the process of getting there dampens the enthusiasm some as they are quite time consuming.

I'm hoping to add more 15/18mm armies to my collections as I do really like the army feel they present and maybe doing more of them will become more comfortable in time, but 28mm will stay king as I really do like painting the scale and the dynamism in posing it offers. 




The figures are amazing and full of detail that would put some 28mm to shame, but I wonder do you really need so much detail in 18mm? After all nobody will see it unless they pick it up for inspection. I'm on the fence about it because for pictures with close ups and those that like to have close inspections of miniatures it's great, but if it's just for army building then maybe not as much. I would say before I paint the unit I wish there was less, but after I'm done I'm glad their was more...... so perhaps I'm not the best to ask because I can't give straight answer other then a muddled "depends".



I'm a novice in uniforms and organizations in the Napoleonic wars so mistakes may of been made that might make some Grognards gasp, but truth be told if I liked something that wasn't correct I'd still keep it as I take liberties to give impressions that I want, because for me that's the most important thing of any project or figure I paint.

 



I have some more French that are about half way or so finished in between other things I'm doing, but this time without greatcoats. I thought I would start with greatcoats first as they are easier to paint then uniforms when getting my feet wet for the first time.

Thanks for viewing!

Miniature Company- Eureka/AB miniatures

18 comments :

  1. They look superb. I always prefer 15/18mm figures for large battles as the mass of figures looks so much better

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Neil and 15/18mm does look very good for mass battles.

      Christopher

      Delete
  2. If you are going 15mm/18mm Mr. Barton's figures are the way to go. You have certainly done them justice, splendid work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Phil they do reward the effort. Not sure on the scale yet as I'm doing some 28mm as well. Maybe I'll keep doing both if I keep my sanity.

      Delete
  3. Your French look terrific, Christopher! Do we need a high level of detail in 18s? Sure, why not? I just wish I good do the sculpts justice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Jonathan! I agree the extra detail is nice, but do we need bread and sausages modeled onto the backpacks at that scale? You do yourself a disservice your painting is very nice!

      Christopher

      Delete
  4. Fantastic French Christopher, they look like they’re 28mm!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Splendid work on figures I consider the very best in the scale.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing! Fabulous work Christopher!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful work. Nicely done sir!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Splendid looking French men, I know what you mean about 15/18mm being sensible but I don't think I can/ want to paint smaller than 28mm, plus if I stick to one scale I only need one set of terrain, it might be I'm just more of a painter than gamer I guess?
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Ian. I am doing some Naps in 28mm as well based largely on that I just really like the figures a lot(Front Rank). I will say AB figures are for painters as there are other brands so much easier to paint with less detail and much cheaper if you just want numbers. That said I get your point in that you wouldn't enjoy the process painting that small and I agree it is challenging that's why I also generally prefer 28mm.

      Christopher

      Delete