Sunday, February 10, 2019

Gone to Texas



While the Texas War of Independence from Mexico did inspire many Texans and those that travel to Texas to fight for the cause there were others who went for adventure and yes profit and this is one of those individuals.



The Texas War of Independence or Revolution if you prefer was fought from Oct 2 1835 to April 21 1836 between the American/Texan colonists, Tanjanos (Mexican  Texans) allies and Volunteers from the US against the Mexican Government led by President Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna because they felt their rights were being taken away. After defeating the small Mexican garrisons in Texas the colonists declared the Republic of Texas to be born. This resulted in Santa Anna marching with an army to reclaim Texas with victories at Gollad and the famous battle of the Alamo before eventually being defeated by Sam Houston's newly trained Texan army at the battle of San Jacinto. While the Mexican army was forced to retreat behind the Rio Grande they never recognized the Republic of Texas and continued a slow burn conflict until the US Annexed Texas in 1845 which led directly to the Mexican - American war resulting in Mexico's defeat and end to Mexico's bid to reclaim Texas.



I've always been interested in the Texas War of Independence since I was a kid really from watching John Wayne's Alamo version(still think it's the best) and always thought it would be nice to do the period, but just didn't like any figures for it until I discovered Boot Hill miniatures and was blown away and knew I had to collect them! The figures just ooze character!  I now already have a box full of these wonderful figures in my lead pile just waiting for me to really fully commit to them, but right now I have other projects that first need attention. However, this will give a small sample of what is to come for those that are interested.




What is also great about this period is it's perfect for Sharpes Practice which I'll be modeling my forces for. It will work great for skirmishes due to the small size of the forces involved. However, I might need to create my own lists as there isn't any for it just yet.


I mostly painted the figures using Foundry paints and some Vallejo and were a pleasure to paint. While it's tiring for my old eyes I did some black lining on this figure as the range are very well suited for that and I wanted to bring out more of the character in these figures.



Still working with my camara to get the pictures to come out the way I want them, but with everything it just takes trial and error I suppose and in the case of me with tech stuff even longer.

Thanks for viewing!
Miniature Company- Boot Hill Miniatures

26 comments :

  1. A splendid job there Christopher. You may be interested to learn that the Boot Hill figure range is sculpted by my son Matthew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much David. WoW! I really didn't know that. Your son is a superb sculptor! It seems wargaming talent runs in the family with yourself writing rules and your son sculpting.

      As I mentioned I will be painting more up of his lovely figures as I clear my desk of some running projects.

      Christopher

      Delete
  2. Beautiful painted miniature, sir.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely stunning work Christopher, surely worthy of a podium finish?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cracking. It reminds me I must relook at my Boot Hill stuff !

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lovely paint job Christopher...
    I do like the Boot Hill miniatures... full of character and very tempting indeed...
    I wondered if Dead Mans Hand could be tweaked for some small skirmish games.


    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Aly and I recommend picking some up. I'm sure you could tweak them for Dead Mans Hand.

      Christopher

      Delete
  6. Wonderful work Chris! Really like what you‘ve done there. It‘s a conflict I know absolutely nothing about so it‘ll be interesting to follow you throughout this project. I might actually learn a thing or two ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Nick and I have more to come on the topic.:-)

      Christopher

      Delete
  7. Love this figure Chris, you had my vote.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent--Boot Hill are very nice figures so I look forward to seeing more of your project.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A great finish Christopher you have really done it justice. I remember my father taking me to see the film, I think I still have a booklet with stills somewhere in the loft and I was lucky enough to visit the Alamo in 2017.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kindly Phil. I got a chance to see the Alamo in the 90's and it was nice although I wish more of it was left. Great memory to have with your dad as well.

      Christopher

      Delete
  10. Very cool looking figure, Christopher. Love the civilian attire with martial purpose. Superbly painted as always.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A lovely pose and a fantastic paint job...congrats!

    ReplyDelete