Monday, December 17, 2018

Hessian Jägers


Hessian Jagärs for my Sharp Practice AWI project. After American Riflemen I would say Jägers rank second as my favorite units to paint for the AWI period They have a really cool mix of both line uniform and huntsmen clothing that I find very appealing.



Hessian Jägers which translates as "hunter" but better understood as "huntsmen" where German mercenaries that had a reputation as some of the finest light infantry in the war and by definition were elite troops . They typically scouted ahead of the main force dispersing  the enemy's own light infantry and gathering information on the enemy's disposition.  They were all extremely well trained in both marksmanship and woodcraft and because of this received a higher pay then the average Hessian soldier.



I painted them using mostly Foundry colors and some Vallejo with some Mig pigments on the basing. I actually finished these figures awhile ago, but just got around to taking pictures of them. Hopefully my blogging will pick up to it's usual 2 to 3 posts a month.



The figures are from Perry miniatures and as usual are very nice sculpts but the clean up on them is annoying....



I still have more AWI finished figures in the wings to photograph and post, but that will likely have to wait until the Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge is completed.



That's right folks it's that time of year again with the annual Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge (found here) just a few days away. I've been involved every year since the the 2nd which was when it was first opened to the wargaming blogging community in general which makes me something of a grognard I suppose with this now being the 9th. That said I rarely do very well as I'm slow painter, but I like to take part and keep the tradition. I hope to see all of you there and good luck to those of you who are taking part!

Thanks for Viewing!
Miniature Company- Perry Miniatures



27 comments :

  1. Beautiful work and good luck too with the challenge Christopher!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Fran and best of luck in the challenge!

      Christopher

      Delete
  2. Great work, Christopher! These Perry jagers are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely work Christopher. I love those Perry AWI figures, I use their Hessians for SYW.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent Hessian Jagers. I could almost here them complaining about being in the God forsaken Colonials. ;) Have a Merry Christmas Christopher.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gary and they probably are! Merry Christmas to you as well!

      Christopher

      Delete
  5. Wonder looking Jagers, Christopher! Love the green coats with red facings - so iconic for riflemen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly Dean and I also really like the red and green combo that I've used on several units.

      Christopher

      Delete
  6. Lovely looking Jaegers! Best of luck with the challenge!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you on both counts Ian and to you as well I believe!

      Christopher

      Delete
  7. Cracking work Christopher, like those a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fine brushwork there Christopher! I agree about the dreadful cleaning up of Perry Miniatures. They really should do something about it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Outstanding. Good shading, crisp brushwork and colors are spot on.

    ReplyDelete