Thursday, September 15, 2016

Gothic/Germanic Noble Cavalry


I'm back on the brushes! I'm beginning to shake off the summer drowsiness and get back to applying some paint to figures. Generally speaking September to March are my most productive hobby months and this looks to be no exception as I'm already working on my next piece.


All my Germanics so far are infantry which is fine for playing early Saxons, but I've always had the ambition to expand my collection to play Germanics as a whole(Saxons, Goths, Vandels etc,) and this unit is a step in that direction by adding cavalry which many Germanic armies had plenty of in this period. I'll be adding more cavalry to expand on the possibilities as well as more infantry.


The figures themselves are the fantastic Footsore miniatures(formerly Musketeer) which I'm a huge fan of as they are an absolute pleasure to paint and have lots of character. I really like the guy with the upraised shield and spear screaming his challenge to the enemy. The figure itself reminds me of an Angus McBride painting of a Celtic champion in the same pose. Perhaps this is where Bill got his inspiration for the sculpt?


I've mounted them on a multi base from warbases like my other Gemanics so I can use them for both Impetus and skirmish games. The shields and standard are from LBM with my usual Mig pigment dust up on the shields.


More Germanics to come and maybe some terrain if I get around to it. The last picture is a higher angle pic so you can see how they fit in the slots. I due rather like the oval shaped single bases better then square ones.


Thanks for viewing!
Miniature Company-Musketeer/Footsore miniatures

42 comments :

  1. Beautiful work. They are lovely figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Caliban and I agree Footsore miniatures are lovely.

      Christopher

      Delete
  2. Cracking Goth cavalry, the Footsore range is superb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly Cyrus and Footsore miniatures are superb.

      Christopher

      Delete
  3. Absolutely stunning Christopher!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really nice Christopher! That is a super range.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Simon and i agree Footsore miniatures are a super range!

      Christopher

      Delete
  5. Hello Christopher,

    Superb unit !! (as usual)... I like Footsore miniatures too....

    Nikko

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Nikko and yes indeed Footore miniatures are easy to like!

      Christopher

      Delete
  6. Very, very nice indeed :)
    Love what you do on the bases, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly Mike on all counts!

      Christopher

      Delete
    2. Good to see your paintbrush flowing at a good rate Christopher.

      Your Horseflesh is superb and I have to agree with you on the oval bases, especially with your magic touch on the basing.

      Delete
    3. Thank you very much Pat I appreciate the support.

      Christopher

      Delete
  7. These are just awesome Chris! Really like your choice of colours. Bright but not flashy, that's just the way I like 'em!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Nick! They will be meeting your Romans on a cold battlefield soon!>:-)

      Christopher

      Delete
  8. Outstanding brushwork! Good to see you flexing your muscles at the painting desk again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Jonathan it's good to be back!

      Christopher

      Delete
  9. Lovely painting and basing --- as usual! =]

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent painting and basing! I really must get back to some regular painting time and start to chip away at the lead mountain; this is inspiration to do just that very thing.

    Cheers, Ross

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you very much Ross! Good luck on your lead mountain!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fine work there Christopher, glad you are gearing up again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you David and still grinding the rust out.

      Christopher

      Delete
  13. Absolutely wonderful work.
    Soft natural colors, and terrain ...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful brushwork. As always. Top!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Superb stuff Christopher, those Goths look suitably maniacal!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome painting and figures, love the flocking of bases too!

    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  17. Excellent return C, very nicely done base. Great stuff

    ReplyDelete
  18. Stonking cavalry Christopher! Beautiful from base to speartip. :)

    ReplyDelete