Monday, July 22, 2013

Busy, but have some Dux Britanniarum


The table
Hello everyone things have been pretty busy here and so blogging has taken a hit. I'm currently doing a lot of re-basing oh the joy of it.... , work and summer activities with family and a simple laziness at times that heat can induce is the reason why for the slow down here on Bunker Hill.

A few weeks back Nick and I played some more great Dux Britanniarum which we like more and more. We managed 2 games which will be our goal each time we meet as we don't get that many opportunities to play together mainly due to distance.  I can't remember all the details, but I'll give a very brief summation of the games.

The first scenario I (Hamarolf) needed to capture a noble to hold for ransom.  In this case Nick(Magnus) sent out on patrol Dungbreath who seems to often draw this duty(wonder why....) Dungbreath started on patrol with Hamarolf and his Saxons entering from the table edge and Magnus racing from the fort to rescue him.  Things were going well as my Saxons managed to close on Dungbreath pretty quickly, but equally fast Magnus arrived in the nick of time to repel my Saxons. Result was Saxons licking their wounds and withdrawing hastily the way they came.

The second game was a Saxon raid on a farm stead to capture gold if any and food supplies for the coming winter with the Romano British hurrying to intervene. In this case Hamarolf was able to ransack the farm pretty quickly and form a strong defensive line and basically giving Magnus a bloody nose and sent packing back to his garrison.

This ended the year in game terms and now winter has set in. Hamarolf "The Battler" has now risen to the status of Warlord which now makes it possible for him to actually take territory for himself! YES!!  Nick's leader on the other hand has a acquired a less then hoped for end of year result with the title of Theodosius Magnus "The Simple". Not sure if this was given to him by Hamarolf or the farmer who lost all his pumpkins! However, he really didn't do that bad as the actual game victories is just 2 Saxon wins to 1 win Romano British which is hardly bad at all. The truth is I acquired a lot of wealth through uncontested raids which why I was able to rise quickly to Warlord. So, next time we meet will be a new game year and promises to very interesting indeed!

Now for a few pics of the two games in no particular order. Nick's Romano British are really looking great with super Sabot basing and appropriate figures and a lovely fort that he brought for us to use. I apologize for my Saxons as I've had to use my Vikings as stand ins except for a couple leaders I've managed to finish. I'm working on more Saxons and some matching Sabot bases to correct this so please bear with me.

Thanks for viewing!:-)

Another angle


Leaving the Garrison
A brawl in the wheat
We found the pumkins!
How dare you steal our pumkins!
Give those pumpkins back!.....No!.....ring of steel on steel
The cream of the armies meet!
 


30 comments :

  1. Wow that looks stunning Christopher!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great looking table and some very nice miniatures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like some very nice games Christopher !

    Greate pictures, love the terrain !

    best regards Michael

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely stuff Christopher especially liked the name Dungbreath, reminded me of Ray!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LoL! I wonder how Ray's feels on the subject!

      Christopher

      Delete
  5. Wonderful terrain and figures - that fort at the end is truly impressive. Dean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The board is mine, but that lovely Fort is Nick's which I hope he brings again!:-)

      Christopher

      Delete
  6. Great game layout, from painted troops to cleverly laid out landscape: lots of different difficulties of terrain to move through and to fight in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great pictures. The figures and table are a joy to behold!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Andy and now if I could only write as good as you! It seems your good writer as well as a great painter!

      Christopher

      Delete
  8. Your board is absolutely beautiful - how do you put it together? Is it just a mat laid over something?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Old wargamer method that I've always preferred. It's a simple dark green blanket that I've sprayed with differing shades of brown and green sprinkled with lichen and foliage. I place smooth Styrofoam shaped hills underneath to change elevations in the ground to give a natural feel or at least try to gain the effect. I use a lot of lichen and foliage on my tables and use it to border fields and dived terrain.

      Christopher

      Delete
  9. Thank you very much everyone for the kind words of support!!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for taking the initiative in writing up a report about our game.
    I really enjoyed it (as I do all of our games) and I'm looking forward to give your vain but lovely painted saxons a bloody nose the next time they face my noble romans... err... romano-brits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! Hamarolf is already gathering his lads together and caulking the hulls of the ships in preparation for the coming festivities of pillaging and land grabbing!>:-)

      Christopher

      Delete
  11. What a treat to see that amazing table - I am so very envious.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Top notch and beautiful to look at! If I can't play, your great AAR is the next best thing, Christopher!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Every time I read an AAR or reviews of this game it gets more and more tempting. Great looking games and figures!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great looking table and troops Christopher! Dux Britanniarum is an excellent set of rules, I really like the campaign aspect of it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice to see you back at it! Re-basing, oh yes sounds like loads of fun. Hey, it's summer and time to just kick back and live without extra pressure.

    The table beautiful. I really like that pic taken head on in front of the garrison. Lovely work and a great batrep!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very nice figs and terrain! I've heard great things about these rules and I guess I need to try them! Take care - Cory

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great looking battle! I agree the fort is a real treat. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What an amazing looking game, Christopher. The terrain is outstanding and the figures are all beautifully painted. What a treat to have played with such wonderful toys!!

    Best wishes

    Giles

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fantastic looking table Christopher. The fort looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Indeed, I second the comments - a really wonderful terrain. I like in particular the dark green tones as typical for the region around the Hadrians´Wall in Mittle England. Bravo!
    Peter

    ReplyDelete
  21. One of the best gaming tables I've seen - both figures and terrain-wise. Thanks for posting the photos.

    Regards,
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you very,very much everyone!!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sounds like you have a good campaign building up there Christopher.
    The table and especially the fort looks superb.
    Cheers,
    Pat.

    ReplyDelete
  24. F*cking gorgeous stuff guys! You provide such great eye-candy and the campaign sounds like a complete blast. Well done!

    ReplyDelete